* Call or Write Us Today
Total Health Fx / Joe & Kathi Fox
23830 Tonnet Circle
Romoland CA 92585
Toll-free 800-557-6821 / Local 951-677-8822
* Send Us an Email: Contact@TotalHealthFx.com
*Subscribe to Our Newsletter >>
Total Health Fx Services
Total Health Fx Social Media
- View and Register for Instant Updates !
Total Health Fx Tag Cloudalternatives prevention remedy anxiety depression effectiveness of massage therapy evidence-based research exercise-induced muscle damage Fat Food Matters Forks Over Knives gluten-free healthy eating healthy living household products from natural sources improved sleep inflammation inner health inner wealth low back pain massage massage as medicine massage research information massage therapy Massage Therapy Research natural skincare natural wholistic health practitioner nausea oncology massage pain reduction plant-based natural remedies relaxation Sick & Nearly Dead simple whole foods diet southern california massage therapist sports injuries stress temporomandibular joint dysfunction Tendinopathy The Gerson Miracle therapeutic massage total health total health massage vegan vegetarian nutrition whole foods and remedies wholistic natural healthcare
Tag Archives: total health massage
Total Health Massage FAQs
Top Ten+ Most Frequently Asked Questions
- What exactly is a massage? What is a therapeutic massage? What is massage therapy?
- Who is the Total Health Massage Therapist?
- Why should I get a massage? What are the benefits?
- Are there times when massage is not recommended?
- Where do I go for a massage?
- What happens during my first appointment?
- Do I need to get undressed for a massage?
- When do I get undressed? Do I get undressed with the massage therapist in the room?
- What should I expect during the session?
- What should I wear when I get a massage?
- How long is a massage session?
What exactly is a massage? What is a therapeutic massage? What is massage therapy?
Massage, also referred to as therapeutic massage or massage therapy, is defined as the manual manipulation of soft body tissue, such as connective tissue, muscle tissue, tendons and ligaments with the intent being an enhancement of health and well-being. States and organizations that have governing authority over massage therapists all have similar definitions in describing massage therapy.
There are many techniques and modalities in massage therapy, which may address specific conditions or symptoms. For the most part they consist of routines using a combination of stroking, kneading, tapping, friction and/or vibrating to improve muscle tone, restore flexibility of joints, enhance blood and lymph circulation, as well as help with relaxation and stress reduction. A wide range of pressure is practiced in the Total Health Massage; our experienced Therapist works closely with you to determine the appropriate level for each area of your body with just the right amount of touch to help the body let go of its localized areas of tension.
Depending on the modality or technique used, the Total Health Massage may consist of deep or light pressure and may be stimulating or sedating. Certain modalities such as sports massage use techniques with the intention of enhancing athletic performance or alleviating sports related injuries, while others such as geriatric massage, prenatal massage or infant massage have techniques appropriate for a specific population.
The Total Health Massage therapist is Joe Fox, licensed and certified in a wide variety of therapeutic massage styles as well as other wholistic and natural health disciplines, in practice since 1978. Joe believes in Nature’s power to heal with natural remedies, and that your health is in your own hands and Joe can be your guide to heal yourself. He works with a wide range of people of different ages and “occupations” and uses his Total Health Therapeutic Massage in a wholistic fashion for prevention, remedy, relief of stress and pain, and for personal and professional development.
Joe sees that the tensions in the body may be the result of everyday or compounded stress, overworking of the tissues from sports, play, work, or injury. The body may need to be taught how to become well and how to let go of its ingrained physical habits and contributing mental and emotional tendencies. For this reason the Total Health Massage is best done regularly and preferably before you think you need it. Of course, if you do really need it right now Total Health Massage is the natural remedy. We always recommend you try a Total Health Massage at our introductory rates to see how it benefits you.
- Massage and other forms of bodywork can help to reduce muscular tension, which results in less pain.
- Massage improves blood and lymph circulation.
- Massage helps to lower blood pressure.
- Massage increases joint flexibility and improves posture.
- Massage helps to reduce anxiety and stress levels and improves concentration.
- Massage promotes quicker healing of injured muscles.
- Massage helps to reduce muscle tightness.
- Massage lessens depression.
- Massage reduces spasms and cramps.
- Massage relieves generalized or chronic pain.
- In some cases, massage reduces or eliminates the need for medication.
- Massage enhances immunity.
- Massage improves quality of sleep.
- Massage boosts your personal and professional development.
An experienced Massage therapist will know how to work with the following situations, but, of course the choice is entirely up to you, if…
- If you have had recent surgery.
- If you have open sores.
- If you are experiencing acute pain.
- If you have an active inflammation, such as with rheumatoid arthritis.
- If you have an active bacterial or viral infection.
- If you are undergoing chemotherapy or radiation treatments.
- When you are drunk, taking mind-altering drugs or otherwise impaired.
- If you have untreated, high blood pressure.
- If in doubt, check with your primary care physician first, but, of course, the choice is entirely up to you.
Your appointment should be made with a licensed and certified massage therapist, educated at a reputable massage school. Our very experienced Total Health Massage Therapist is licensed and certified in many natural health disciplines, and began his career in 1978. Total Health Massage is offered primarily in your home or workplace throughout SoCal or in the Total Health Studio, if you prefer. Our fees are reasonable and are based on the distance to your location. Our massage therapist brings the massage table to your home or office and sets up in a comfortable space; the Total Health Studio is in a quiet natural setting in SW Riverside County.
During the course of your Total Health Massage, the Therapist will have questions about your general health, diet and exercise habits, medications you are taking, recent surgeries and any ailments or limitations you may have. You may be asked about your activity levels, what type of work you do and your reason for scheduling a massage. As an ongoing client, our Therapist will want to know about all medications as well as herbal and nutritional supplements you are taking.
For some types of massage, such as traditional Swedish massage which uses vegetable oil, you would need to get undressed. Some people choose to leave on certain articles of clothing such as underwear or socks, at your discretion. For other modalities, such as pressure-point, sports or chair massage, you remain fully clothed. However, before the massage, the Total Health Massage Therapist should advise you regarding this matter and instruct you to only disrobe to your own level of comfort.
Legal regulations require the client to be covered with draping (for those modalities requiring you to undress), with a sheet or large towel, except for the body part being treated. So even though you are undressed, you are covered during the massage session.
Our massage therapist will bring you into the treatment area and then leave the room, closing the door and allowing you to get undressed in private. Once you are undressed you should get onto the massage table and cover yourself with the towel or sheet provided. If this is your first massage, our Therapist will provide you with instructions, such as whether you should lie face down or face up on the table.
It depends on the type of massage you will receive. Our massage therapist will discuss this with you. The massage therapist should ask about your expectations and health information to decide the best form of treatment.
- If you choose a traditional Swedish massage, you will be asked to go into the treatment room, disrobe to your own comfort level, lay on a padded massage table and cover yourself with a sheet or towel. Depending on what your needs are, the massage may include the use of broad, flowing strokes on the arms, hands, legs, feet, back and shoulders. State laws forbid the massaging or touching of private areas.
- If you are receiving pressure point or sports massage, you will be asked to wear comfortable clothing. The session may consist of appropriate pressure tense areas of the body as well as gentle stretches.
- The massage therapist will use his or her body, including fingers, hands or forearms, for a seamless flow of acupressure manipulations as well as helping you learn stretches and poses you can do on your own.
- Each form of bodywork may have its own instruction, which should be explained in full by your massage therapist.
- A massage therapist should ask for feedback with regard to your comfort level during the massage.
- A massage should never hurt or produce any bruising.
- Whether your Total Health Massage is Swedish or Acupressure, it will generally include your neck, back, shoulders, arms, hands, legs and feet. It may or may not include your face, and may include the abdomen with your permission. The massage will not include your private areas.
It is important to wear comfortable clothing when you go to get a massage.
- For a Swedish massage you will need to get undressed to the level of your own comfort. This is done with the massage therapist out of the room. He or she will instruct you to cover yourself with the provided sheet or towel for modesty.
- If you are receiving a massage using acupressure techniques, most likely you will be keeping your clothing on. Wear something loose and comfortable, preferably made from natural fabrics like cotton, and that have some give to allow for assisted stretching.
If you are unsure as to what type of clothing to wear for the specific technique your massage therapist will be using, ask before you go to the appointment
A massage session can be as short as 10 or 15 minutes for a mini- or demo-massage (given to multiple clients), or as long as an hour or so for the full body massage. In the Total Health Studio or for multiple clients in the same outcall location you may opt for a half-hour session. Depending on the condition of your body and your responses to the treatment , a one-hour appointment may be anywhere from 50-70 minutes of actual massage.
Allow at least 15 minutes before and after your appointment to relax, and for undressing/dressing. Being rushed afterwards may reduce some of the positive results of your massage session. The OutCall Total Health Massage is the ultimate way to receive your massage for this very reason.
What is a Total Health Massage?
Total Health Massage is a proprietary therapeutic massage style incorporating elements from around the world including Chinese Acupressure, Indian Ayurveda, Swedish Massage, Polarity Therapy, Biodynamic CranioSacral Therapy, Lymphatic Massage, Sports Massage, Myofascial Release, Kinesiologic Joint Therapy. This skillful blend of technique with sensitive care brings health and nature’s energy into the body to prevent and remedy body aches and pains of stress and tension, overwork and overuse of muscles, chronic illness and injuries resulting from sports, work, trauma or accident. Total Health Massage is available by appointment in the Total Health studio, or by out-call to client’s home or workplace throughout Southern California. Gift Certificates are available. Insurance and credit cards are welcome upon approval.